Wednesday 3 June 2015

Reflections - Religion and Renaissance Posters

The purpose/intention for both of these graphic organizers are:
a) Religion - Just to state your main information and ideas, and have a lot visuals, comparisons to help the audience understand what you're talking about. We had a lot more freedom and choice of how we wanted to organize/do our poster, as there were less guidelines and structure to follow. This was more 'visual' based, and we had to use a minimal amount of words to summarize our topic, but it was easier as it was not too broad of a topic.
b) Renaissance - We had less freedom to do what we wanted as we had more guidelines and structure to follow, such as having graphic organizers, making connections, and showing depth of thought. We had to state our main information and ideas here as well, but we were allowed to use more words given how large the topic the Renaissance was. We were also encouraged to use symbolism through pictures. This organizer had less pictures in it, but that was balanced out by other things, such as colour choice or such.
Both of the graphic organizers were similar in the sense that they both used keywords, main ideas, and had pictures, but the main difference is that we were given more guidelines, for the Renaissance than the religion project, and the Renaissance was more complex in information/connections. The religion project however, was more visual in the sense that there were more illustrations.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Religion Poster: 
2 Stars:
1) I used important keywords and only important keywords in order to get my main point across in the fewest amount of words, so that my poster would not be crowded with too much information.
2) I divided my main topic into several subcategories and divided those subcategories into several smaller subcategories, so that anyone who looked at my poster would be able to understand what each one of those subcategories were about, and understand the big picture as well. (So, I'm saying that I organized my poster in the best possible way, that I saw fit. 
1 Wish:
1) I do wish that I had put more visuals (pictures) on my poster, as it would have helped enhance the reader's ability to understand the religion that I did my project on. It would have done so by helping the reader after reading the main keywords on my poster pin a certain picture to the information that they had just read about. 

Renaissance Poster:
If I could assign myself a letter grade for this project, I would give myself an A, because I understood and fulfilled the purpose/intention for this project, which was to demonstrate my comprehension of the Renaissance along with showing my meta-cognition skills and meeting all of the criteria expected. I did so by writing down important key information about the Renaissance, making connections, and even summarizing main ideas that might have been hard for the reader to grasp. I met all of the criteria expected of this project by using symbolism through certain pictures, showing a variety of connections using coloured arrows, and not to mention I colour coded my entire poster with a specific colour for each subcategory. Also, I used different graphic organizers to show my depth of understanding, along with a legend so that the individual reading my poster would comprehend and be able to fully understand my poster. Though my poster might look a bit crowded from afar, it actually isn't, as there are white spaces in my poster. Another thing that I did was that I added some examples/more helpful keywords to certain places in my poster where there was information written down along with pictures (throughout my poster) to help enhance the reader's ability to understand the information I wrote in my poster in case they had never learned about the Renaissance beforehand. The final thing that I have to say is, this is a 'graphic organizer' and thus it must be visual, and I have done so by using different graphic organizers, colours, and illustrations. I also used a baby to represent rebirth, as "Renaissance" in French means "rebirth". 

What did you learn from these two assignments?
I learned how to manage my time and use it wisely in order to complete my research and poster itself in the time allotted along with how to summarize the main information (key points) of such a large topic like the 'Renaissance' in a minimal amount of words. I also learned how to have organized my poster in a way that it showed how much I learned about the Renaissance (Eg. colour coding, examples given, illustrations drawn). More importantly, I learned how to show my connections of several topics/ideas, and show my depth of thought. I am also thankful that I had the chance to learn about the Baha'i religion and the Renaissance, as both assignments, have helped improve my note-taking/researching skills, presenting skills (Baha'i), writing skills, reflection skills, and even my organisation skills. 

What are you most proud of?
 I am most proud of how my posters turned out and how I managed to finish them in the given time. Time has been my 'enemy' in our previous projects in Humanities 8, but I learned from those other projects and used my time wisely, thus resulting in posters that I was quite happy to make and proud of. I put a lot of time and effort into these posters, and it paid off. Not in just how it looked, but in the thought and information that was put into it as well. 

2 comments:

  1. Weren't we suppose to post this on our Fh learn blogs? Just wondering, I mean I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's supposed to be posted on here, because on Ms. Lees' blog it says
    "Both blocks: Upload on to your new group blogs (in the sidebar):"

    ReplyDelete